Monday, December 20, 2010

You Don’t Scare Me

You don’t scare me!
Well, that’s not true.
You still do scare me,
You do!

Masses and lumps,
An atypical cell,
Why is it that you seem to
Grow so well?

And pain! Why does pain
Rule the day?
Why can’t there be
Another way?

There’s doctors and tests
And waiting, and waiting;
The uncertainty is
Excruciating!

Then tiny steps forward,
A glimpse of hope!
It really isn’t the end
Of the rope!

Surgery, chemo, another doctor,
Another test.
And utter exhaustion–
The need for rest.

You really don’t scare me,
Well, that’s not true.
You’re destroying my body,
There’s not much I can do.

But trust doctors and chemo,
And pray and pray.
And live like tomorrow may be
My last day.

And praise my Creator for
All I’ve been given.
For family, for friends,
And the promise of heaven.

You really don’t scare me,
Try as you may.
For Jesus is with me,
Every step of the way.

He’s my Lord and Savior,
My dearest friend.
My comfort, my shelter,
Beginning and end.

You really can’t scare me,
While I still have breath.
I know the truth:
Love is stronger than death.

No comments:

Post a Comment