Monday, May 30, 2011

A First Year Pastor’s Top Ten Gleanings

It has been almost one year since I became the pastor at Saxapahaw United Methodist Church.  While my years of teaching high school at Northern Durham, my wonderful seminary education at Duke Divinity, and my invaluable experience on the pastoral staff at Reconciliation UMC prepared me well, the learning curve has been steep during this first year of ministry.  Today I thought I’d reflect on what I’ve learned so far.  Here are my top ten gleanings:

1.     The weekly task of preaching is a gift.  The hours spent preparing – reading, praying, pondering, exploring, and finally writing – create a rhythm in my week that grounds me in God’s Word.  That is pure gift. 

2.     The weekly task of preaching is a challenge.  Sunday comes every seven days, whether I am ready for it or not.  Unlike teaching a lesson where there is a clear objective, the objective of preaching comes from studying God’s Word and knowing God’s people.  I recognize my utter dependence on God on those weeks when I’m sitting in front of my computer on a Saturday morning and still have no idea what Word to bring to God’s people.

3.     Praying for the people is utterly essential.  Each week, in addition to spontaneous prayers, I pray through the church directory; mine is filled with notes and names that I have added.  These prayers connect me to the congregation in a way that nothing else can; they are the foundation for building strong relationships.

4.     Conflict is inevitable. 

5.     Time with the congregation is indispensable.  From visiting the sick and those who are grieving, to showing up at birthday parties and games, spending time listening and laughing and praying together is invaluable.

6.     Time with friends and colleagues is important for a balanced life.  Whether it is time with my accountability group, my friends, my mentors, or other pastors, that time is so important to help me keep things in perspective.

7.     Time in study and reflection beyond preparation for worship and Sunday school is absolutely necessary.  From daily devotions to close readings of theology books to watching movies and reading novels, this time spent learning about God and God’s people has a way of grounding me and keeping things real.

8.     There is never enough time.  

9.     The people who make up the church are extraordinary.  They love one another, through good times and tough times.  They freely give of their time to the church – teaching and leading, planning and visioning, cleaning and mowing – on top of the many commitments of a busy life.  And even more astonishing, they support the church financially, paying me to do the things I love most.  The people of God are faithful and good and generous and loving.  They are extraordinary.

10. It isn’t about me.  At the end of the day, it isn’t about what I’ve done or who I’ve visited.  God has this uncanny ability to show up and give us a glimpse of the Kingdom in the midst of our most mundane activities and during our most profound moments of worship.  At the end of the day, there is nothing to do but give thanks to God for this gift called ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment