Friday, July 8, 2011

¡Soy hispano!


According to the US government definition, I can answer the question “Are you  Hispanic/Latino” affirmatively![1]  I am Hispanic because I trace my origin to Bogota, Colombia.  In this case, “origin” is understood as country of birth and Colombia is in South America.[2]  At first glance, it seems I have misrepresented myself for the past 40+ years, as I have never considered myself to be of Hispanic origin.  White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant? Yes. Hispanic? No.  But then, the US Census Bureau has simplified the definition, since determining whether a person is of Hispanic origin is quite complicated: simply, you are of Hispanic origin if you say you are.[3]  So if I want to say I am of Hispanic origin, I can.

Sue in Mexico City, 1968.
While calling myself Hispanic may seem absurd, the more I have reflected on this the more sense it makes for me to do so.  After all, I share many characteristics with the Hispanic communities in North Carolina. I was born in a Latin American country. I came to the United States from Mexico, like 63% of the Hispanics in this state.[4] I was in the fourth grade when my family moved to the United States from Mexico City, where I had lived for almost seven years. Like so many of the people coming to the United States from Mexico, we moved here because my father was offered a better job. In his case, it was a promotion within the same company. Nevertheless, it was a better job. Like so many Hispanic children, I did not choose to come to the United States. I came to this country because my parents came to this country. Finally, like 55% of the Hispanics in North Carolina, I have legal documentation of my right to be here.[5] I am a legal alien; I carry a green card.

Of course, most similarities end there. I have grown up with privilege. I’ve never been discriminated against because of the color of my skin. I’ve gone to the best schools, never wondering whether my legal status might keep me from attending.[6] No one has ever asked me about my legal status in a job interview or at a roadside checkpoint. While there have been times when I have been afraid, I have never lived in fear. My white skin and my fluency in English have given me so many opportunities – opportunities I have simply taken for granted.[7]   

So what does it mean for me to claim my Hispanic origin? It means that stereotypes of what it means to be Hispanic/Latino are just that – stereotypes. Not all Hispanics are brown-skinned, Spanish-speaking, and undocumented. As a matter of fact, some are white and some are black; some are third and fourth generation American citizens; some have never spoken any language except English. In other words, there is as much diversity among people who are Hispanic as there is more generally in the American population. Stereotypes are dangerous and discriminatory; stereotyping Hispanics is damaging and divisive to our entire community. And yet, it happens all the time.

This past year I have spent a great deal of time learning about the challenges faced by the Hispanic community in Alamance county, particularly as a result of the 287(g) program.[8]  The Sheriff’s department has partnered with ICE to implement this program – a program that is intended to facilitate the removal from this country of dangerous criminals who are undocumented.  But this county has chosen to use the program to attempt to remove all Hispanics who are undocumented.  In the words of our county commissioner, Tim Sutton, “287(g) deters local crime by illegal aliens. But that’s not the only thing I’m after. I want illegal aliens, to be honest with you, out of here.”[9] I wonder if Mr. Sutton has truly thought about the impact of his statement.  What about those who came to the United States as children? Those who have been here 20+ years? Those who know no other home except North Carolina? Out of here to where, Mr. Sutton?

One problem with the 287(g) program as it is implemented in Alamance County is that it leaves all those who are brown-skinned, regardless of their legal status, living in fear. This type of racial profiling is crippling our community. Claiming my Hispanic origin compels me to stand with my Hispanic/Latino brothers and sisters against the fear tactics imposed by those in power, especially here in Alamance County. Claiming my Hispanic origin compels me to speak out against the injustices experienced by my Hispanic brothers and sisters.

Compels. That is a strong word. I have been motivated to pray for and with my Hispanic brothers and sisters for years.  From trying to teach the language of Chemistry in English to youth who only spoke Spanish, to entering into the lives of and worshipping with the Hispanic community at Reconciliation UMC in Durham, I have been motivated to pray. I have been inspired by the friendships I have formed and the reading I have done to do more for my brothers and sisters – but I have not acted. Today I am compelled to stand with this community against the powers that be. While I have no idea what this will look like, may God open doors that enable me to do this faithfully!



[1] The term "Hispanic" refers to persons who trace their origin or descent to Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central and South America, and other Spanish cultures. http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_1997standards
[2] Origin can be viewed as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person's parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States. http://latinostories.com/Latino_Facts_and_Statistics/Census_Stats_Latinos/Definition_of_Hispanic_Origin.htm
[5] In NC, an estimated 41% of Latinos are native-born US citizens.  Those who are naturalized citizens or have visas make up 13.6% of the total Latino population in NC.  The remaining 45% lack legal immigration status.  Hannah Gill, The Latino Migration Experience in North Carolina, page 5.
[6]“NC Coalition for Justice for Immigrants” website, http://www.welcometheimmigrant.org/legislative-updates, has information on legislation in NC about denying post-secondary education to undocumented immigrants. House Bill 11 can be found at the NC General Assembly site at http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011%20%20&BillID=h11.
[7] See Peggy McIntosh’s article, White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.
[8] Go to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website to learn more: http://www.ice.gov/287g/
[9] The 287(g) Program: Costs and Consequences, page 10, from the Institute for Study of the Americas at UNC-Chapel Hill. Download at: isa.unc.edu/migration/287g_report_final.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment