Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Called, Part 2


Several years ago I was asked to mentor four young adults who had been approved as certified candidates for ministry by their local church. I had been invited to help them as they prepared to go before DCOM and continue their pursuit of ordained ministry within the United Methodist Church. It was truly a joy to work with these men and women who were answering God’s call on their lives.

I vividly remember one young man who had just started seminary. He was so full of the Spirit! He was a life-long Methodist who had actively served in his church all his life. His fruitfulness was already evident, his passion for Christ was clear, and his desire to serve God’s Church was sincere.

I am sure he would be ordained today if it were not for the fact that he is gay. His calling by God was so strong that he was willing to remain celibate so he could serve God in the United Methodist Church.[1] But the DCOM said no. The Church said no. The Church told him: No matter how clear God’s calling is in your life – no matter how fruitful your ministry has already been – you cannot be ordained. Sadly, he dropped out of the candidacy program and he dropped out of seminary.

This young man is so faithful to the United Methodist Church. Today he still serves in his local church as a lay person. He continues to do great work for God. But I wonder about all the other young people who feel called by God and say nothing to anyone because of their sexual orientation. I wonder about those who leave their home churches to pursue ordination in a different denomination, or who simply leave the church altogether.

I am thankful for my time with this young man because he forced me to recognize my personal fears and biases. I had to wrestle with my own understanding of Scripture and Tradition. My experience with him led me to spend much time in prayer. I wondered: When God’s calling is so evident, who am I to say no? Who are we to say no?

If God is calling a person to ordained ministry, it is good for the Church to verify that calling. If the Church sees a clear calling in someone’s life, the fruits of that calling are abundantly evident, and a person meets all of the other requirements for ordination, should gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, or any other distinguishing marker keep a person from answering God’s call?



[1] Our Book of Discipline requires “celibacy in singleness and faithfulness in marriage” for all ordained clergy. As someone who could not be married, he chose to be celibate.

No comments:

Post a Comment